Electricity is very powerful and dangerous when not properly handled. Imagine adding water to the mix. This only amplifies the potential danger. At Restoration Doctor, we want to ensure that you and your family know what to do to stay safe when handling this source of energy. We are experts in water mitigation and water damage restoration. You can trust us, Davie.

 

Look At The Facts

We use electricity every single day. Even when we do not realize it. From flipping a light switch or plugging in your blow dryer, electricity is such a large part of our daily lives, and its hidden dangers can be easily overlooked. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), electrical cords alone account for over 25% of the estimated 81,000 electrical fires each year. This resulted in $1.5 billion in direct property damage. At 1-800 WATER DAMAGE, safety is our number one priority, so we’ve come up with some indoor and outdoor safety tips to help protect you, your family, and your property from electrical fires. Trust us when it comes to water damage restoration.

 

Water Mitigation Leads Aids Electrical Issues

Our homes and our families depend on electricity to power our daily lives. According to the latest data from the NFPA, from 2010-2014, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 45,210 house fires each year that were caused by electrical malfunction or failure. Most indoor electrical accidents can be prevented if the following precautions are taken:

  • Appliances- From toasters and televisions to refrigerators and microwaves, we love our appliances, and our homes are filled with them. Any major appliances like dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioning units, etc. should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Plugging them into extension cords or power strips can overload the circuit and cause a fire.

 

  • Space Heaters – Space heaters are the leading cause of home fires involving heating equipment. Because space heaters use a lot of energy and produce heat, one of the biggest electrical risks they pose is overheating. Before purchasing or using any kind of electric space heater, look for the Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories mark. This certifies the product has been tested by national standards and is safe to use. When using a space heater, always plug it into a wall outlet directly, and make sure it is the only heat-producing appliance plugged into that outlet.

 

  • Lights- Lights can be dangerous if you’re not using the correct light bulbs. Only use light bulbs that are at, or below, the maximum wattage listed on your lamp or light. Typically, there will be a sticker on the appliance that indicates the maximum wattage. If you are using lights for seasonal decorations, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for maximum wattage and proper connection.

 

  • Ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)- GFCI outlets will automatically disconnect power when the plug encounters water. These are crucial for preventing electrical shock. It’s important to note, you should have GFCI protection anywhere electricity and water are within six feet of each other. They are code-required in wet areas like bathrooms, garages, kitchens, and laundry rooms. GFCI outlets should be checked once a month according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.

 

  • Note: If you have frequent problems with blowing fuses, discolored or warm wall outlets, flickering or dimming lights you should call a professional. All of these are potential fire hazards that could cause an electrical fire.

 

Call Us Today

If you want to ensure that water mitigation from your home is done correctly, you can bet we will make it happen. Restoration Doctor, located in Davie, is the best choice when it comes to water damage restoration. Call or visit us today for more information.