Mold may seem innocuous beyond its odor and appearance, but it can actually be quite harmful to us. Here in Florida, it’s incredibly easy for mold to develop in the nooks and crannies of our homes thanks to our hot and humid climate. We at Restoration Doctor have seen many cases of mold outbreaks in the homes around Davie, FL, and because of that, we’d like to take a moment and share some tips on mold prevention. If you do have a mold outbreak, however, you’ll want to search for “restoration companies near me” to properly handle the mold and restore anything affected by it.
Why Trust Restoration Companies Near Me?
Many homeowners might assume that a little water and bleach solution is the key to remediating a mold problem, but this isn’t the case. First and foremost, bleach can actually help the mold continue to grow. Instead, a solution using white distilled vinegar will work much better, but even that is still only helpful for small spots of mold. If you have an outbreak, the mold likely goes much deeper than you’d be led to believe, possibly going into the walls. In this case, the help of an expert is the way to go. Experts will have the tools to attack the mold at its roots and eliminate it completely.
The Top Mold Prevention Tips For You
The best way to handle mold is to prevent it from entering your home in the first place. This can be a challenge to accomplish, as mold spores are everywhere all the time. In order for them to grow, though, they need certain conditions to thrive. This includes a warm temperature, moisture, and a source of “food” such as wood or cardboard. Because Florida can get quite hot and humid, especially during the stormy seasons, there are a myriad of opportunities for mold to thrive. Here are some things you can do to better prevent it from developing in your home:
- Check for leaks in your walls and roof
- Inspect your home for leaks regularly. Be thorough and check areas like your attic or crawl spaces for water finding its way in, or even just damp spots on the walls or floor.
- Consider a dehumidifier for your home
- Humidity is a key component for mold to grow since it helps provide the moisture mold needs to thrive. Using a dehumidifier will help fight that and make your home less hospitable to mold spores.
- Use exhaust fans to ventilate moisture
- Anytime you’re taking a shower, cooking, or doing other things where steam can fill a space, try to build the habit of turning on your exhaust fans. It’s a good idea as it helps ventilate the space and ensure there’s no buildup of moisture.
- Keep your HVAC system in good condition
- Check your HVAC drip pans and clean them when necessary. Also, make sure to have your system inspected annually by a certified technician.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts
- If your gutters and downspouts are clogged, water won’t flow out and away from your home properly. This could allow water to collect and develop mold around your roof.
- Consider water-resistant or mold-resistant materials
- If you end up taking on any home projects, consider investing in water-resistant materials, such as stone or tile, and mold-resistant paints and drywall.
Contact Us for Restoration Companies Near Me
These mold prevention techniques can help keep your home free of any mold, but if you do end up with a mold outbreak, seek professional help. For residents of Davie, FL, consider contacting us at Restoration Doctor. We can not only help you remediate your mold problem, but help you restore anything affected by it.