One of the most common areas of mold growth in the house are attics. This is due to the fact that attics tend to have the perfect conditions for mold growth (hot, humid, and an abundant food source with the wood sheathing). Moreover, the majority of homeowners rarely go up to their attic, so the mold problem is allowed to continue undisturbed, often for many years. A lot of people first learn about their mold problem only right before they try and sell their home. The buyer’s home inspector may notice the mold in the attic right before the closing date, which can put the entire deal in jeopardy as it causes both the buyer and seller to panic. The good news is that this entire attic mold-scare scenario can be avoided by simple annual checks in your attic for mold and dealing with it promptly if you do find a problem. Read on to learn more about hiring a mold detector to deal with attic mold. If you’re looking online for “restoration companies near me” in the Davie area, call Restoration Doctor today for a consultation!
Signs Of An Attic Mold Problem
There are certain tell-tale signs of an attic mold problem to keep in mind, so that you know when to look for “restoration companies near me.”
- Dark black staining on wood surfaces- If the wood in your attic starts to show any black discoloration, the problem has moved past moisture, and you have mold that needs to be removed.
- Attic feels excessively hot or stuffy- Attics should feel breezy if they are ventilated properly. When an attic is stuffy, it can be that you have a ventilation problem, which often results in issues with mold.
- Frost buildup on the underside of the roof sheathing during the winter- When it’s cold enough outside, water vapor in an attic freezes easily on the underside of your roof, so make sure to take a peek time to time.
- Wet insulation in the attic- Not only is this a telltale signal that you may (or will) have a mold problem, but when insulation gets damp or wet, its ability to insulate goes down significantly, costing you more money to heat/cool your home.
- Water dripping from smoke detectors, light fixtures, bath fans- This is always a sign that the floor (or attic) above has a level of moisture that should be dealt with.
- The smell of mildew in the attic- A musty or moldy smell in the attic usually signals mold growth and should be checked out.
Why You Need A Mold Detector
Mold problems are usually moisture problems. Basically, you can’t have a mold problem without a moisture problem. Typically, the majority of attic moisture problems that result in mold growth are caused by blocked or insufficient ventilation, improper exhausting of bathroom fans or dryer vents, and roof issues/leaks. In addition to fixing the moisture problem that caused the mold problem, you will also need to get rid of the mold properly. This is why you may want to call Restoration Doctor for our professional mold detection and removal services.
Contact Us Today
You may need a mold detector and professional mold removal services for your attic. If you are looking online for “restoration companies near me,”call Restoration Doctor in Davie for your mold restoration needs today.