We live in Florida. What is something that is very common during the summer months in Florida, especially South Florida? Hurricanes and tropical storms. Because of this, we need to make sure that we and our families prepare for the worst. Restoration Doctor is here to give you all the advice you need when it comes to emergency preparedness. We are proud to offer the best services when it comes to water restoration Miami.
Be Flood Ready
Do you have an emergency preparedness kit? If so, is it fully stocked? As the remnants of a tropical storm or hurricane leave and flood waters begin to recede, our expert water damage repair technicians begin the restoration process to those communities impacted by the storm. Beginning with extracting flood waters, we work to reduce the moisture in the affected areas to help prevent mold from growing by utilizing industrial dehumidification and drying processes. Once the area is dry, we continue the decontamination, and reconstruction processes in your home or business. You can trust our water restoration Miami company.
Here are some items you need to build a kit.
- Water – one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food – at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and an NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
Emergency Preparedness After The Disaster
After a flood, and only when safe to do so, we encourage the communities to follow these important flood safety guidelines from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration:
- Contact Your Family and Loved Ones – Let those close to you know that you are okay.
- Stay Informed – Continue to follow local news coverage and government officials for information and instructions.
- Avoid Flood Waters – Standing water can contain unseen chemicals and toxins, as well as dangerous debris underneath.
- Avoid Disaster Areas – These areas are often unsafe to untrained professionals, and you may hinder recovery efforts.
- Heed Warning Signage – Pay attention to emergency signage that will be erected to inform you of road closures and other safety conditions.
- Wait For the “All Clear” – Many homes and other structures may have had their structural integrity affected by flood waters, or dangerous live wires present. Wait until it has been cleared by authorities.
- Contact Your Insurance Company – Be sure to create a detailed list of everything that was damaged or destroyed by the storm.
Contact Us Today
We want all of our customers to know all the information when it comes to emergency preparedness. Restoration Doctor is the leader when it comes to water restoration Miami. Call or visit us today for more information.